BRIDGE –Building Relationships through Innovative Development of Gender Based Violence Awareness in Europe
The existing studies point to alarming accounts of gender based violence (GVB) affecting refugee and migrant children and youth in the European Union. Trafficking, sexual exploitation and abuse, and forced labour, are all part of the experiences of people on the move. At the same time, the considerable lack of data and professionals’ knowledge and coordination, on the one hand, and the low awareness amongst migrant children and youth themselves, on the other, make the issue of gender based violence difficult to tackle.
In order to strengthen the statutory response to gender based violence affecting children and youth on the move in EU countries, Kopin, Terre des hommes Hungary and partners in Belgium, Greece and Romania are implementing the regional project entitled “Building Relationships through Innovative Development of Gender Based Violence Awareness in Europe –BRIDGE”.
This two-year project seeks to achieve the following specific objectives:
- To enhance availability of accurate data on GBV against children and youth on the move;
- To develop knowledge and capacities of care professionals to raise awareness, identify and address specific forms of GBV among children and youth on the move;
- To support and promote multi-agency collaboration and learning on GBV against children and youth on the move through regional community of practice;
- To empower children and youth on the move to build positive relationships, awareness and understanding of GBV and support them to report, prevent, mitigate and address it.
A combination of interconnected activities will be delivered:
- Development of data collection methodology and mobile data collection (MDC) tool;
- Data collection using MDC tool in project countries;
- Development of Training of Trainers curricula and holding of Training of Trainers;
- Awareness raising campaigns designed and implemented in each country, involving youth facilitators;
- Development of a regional community of practice through the Child Protection Hub.
The project is supported by the European Union’s Rights, Equality and Citizenship Programme (2014-2020) and is carried out in five countries:
- Belgium (under the coordination of Defence for Children International – DCI Belgium and FEDASIL);
- Greece (under the coordination of ARSIS – Association for the Social Support of Youth);
- Hungary (under the coordination of Terre des hommes Regional Office for Europe as project lead);
- Malta (under the coordination of Kopin);
- Romania (under the coordination of Terre des hommes Romania).
You can find updates on the project and shared resources regarding GBV among children and youth on the move on the dedicated Childhub page.
The latest newsletter on the project can be found here